Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Composing Technology

My name is Soleil, and I have just realized how incredibly little I know about the technology I'm using to type this message to you.
I'm sitting in Ms Jungman's (pronounced Yungman) computer science class. This is required for Trinity students to take a course that will make us "technologically literate".  I assumed, when I first enrolled in this class, that I would be sitting in a cold room, staring at boring tutorials of how to use basic Windows programs.  I considered myself enough of a computer user to recognize the fact that I could, in fact, turn on (and off) the device.  The second day of class, I realized how incredibly wrong I was.
To better introduce myself, I might want to add the viewpoint that I will be taking this blog on.  Ever since elementary school, I've known myself to be a Writer. I taught myself to type by creating stories on my dad's old work laptop.  They spanned anywhere from 1 paragraph to 100 pages.  While I have had less time to keep creating such huge amounts of creative stories, I do find that I still have the mind and passion of a writer.  My past times will be devoted to writing (and reading) about everything that I might find interesting.  This will include technology.  Technology is such a vital part of everybody's lives, it's hard to not become interested in what has pushed society forward in such a short amount of time.  It's time that I become more familiar with what technology actually is, and how it came to be.
My interest in technology isn't nearly as unfounded (or forced) as you might think.  I'm actually a huge science fiction nerd,  so technology is just right around the corner.  To feed my curiosity of just how machines work, I joined my high school's robotics team, and became the co-captain during my senior year.  I don't want you to get the wrong idea though; I made sure I was far away from the programming team when they started talking about coding (I learned the hard way that their "raspberry pi" is not the same as my "raspberry pie". I don't know, it's a computer thing).   With that in mind, I can build a rad robot (that won't move, because I don't know how to program), or a rad cabinet.  Whichever you prefer.

This seems like a good place to sign off! With love, a devastatingly ignorant science fiction nerd.

PS: If you have a need to contact me, feel free to email me at LGaffner@trinity.edu

3 comments:

  1. Soleil,
    Great post. I enjoyed reading about your passion for writing and how you plan to write about the advances in technology in our society. You have a calm and welcoming layout that compliments the voice you possess in your blog. I look forward to keeping up with your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are, indeed, and interesting writer! Move your picture up in the post and have the text wrap around. Savannah or I will help if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete